Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Animal

Other people, when they pass
look around and see
A glittering cage of clear glass
and inside it, me.
They see me looking out,
they don't seem to care.
They look away and pretend
they didn't put me there.
My life has changed,
I don't even know why.
But, the tears won't come,
who cares if I cry?
I have forgotten now
what its like to be free.
Glass walls, staring faces,
are now the world for me.
I hope for the touch of death,
and soon enough I'll be
stretched out, lifeless, on a glass floor
for everyone to see.

4 comments:

  1. This one is really good...very hard hitting but one can identify with it and feel it. I hope your next one is more cheerful though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice poem! seems you have the knack for it. so i thought, let me pamper you with a compliment. keep writing.
    member of creative writing community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the title.
    The poem is beautifully aesthetic and real at same time. It talks of an entity which is confined and hates the uninvited intrudes. yet, here it lies abound for that is the only way to be. It relays multitude of things from caught and trapped in thoughts practical or illusionary. That depending on readers' imagination. I personally saw it as a woman on display a prostitute or may be a teenager seeking to break out. It is certainly not about a zoo animal. And for the said confined entity , for the lack of a better word, i would say animal does not do justice, It is misguided, takes away from the blatant refute subtlety of the poem.

    ReplyDelete