Monday, April 14, 2014

Of lovers in love (not)


I'm alone and in a rut
need to think of something but
there's a feeling in my gut
I won't make sense
to naught anyone but me
and that's the way that it will be
because I cannot really see
past this pretence.

We can tug and we can try
strain our hearts and even cry
but this life will just go by
without a chance
at a state of real connection,
for the trappings of affection
are merely imperfection,
best viewed askance.

Life has things of more import,
my dear friend, I do exhort
you to speedily abort
this futile plan
lest the feeling should take hold
and then get so very bold
and then completely enfold
as well it can.

And so I must tell you this,
before you fall in the abyss
of this temporary bliss,
so listen well.
Resist! Though you be drawn,
for the shine will soon be gone
and the cold hard light of dawn
all dreams dispel.

You may well ask me why
despite all this we still defy
all good sense and yet retry
to love invoke.
Upon most grave reflection
of this fateful predilection,
I must say natural selection
played a joke.

1 comment:

  1. A song to be sung in Madison Square with a quintet and a quartet in tow, the listeners parting, drawing an aisle for the reality to walk to the missing heartbeat of rapturous attention!

    ReplyDelete